September 16, 1998

The News & Observer

UNC lineman Hall charged with assault

By Steve Elling; Staff Writer

CHAPEL HILL -- North Carolina offensive lineman Jon Hall was indefinitely suspended from the
team on Tuesday after he was charged with assaulting and threatening his girlfriend.

Hall becomes the eighth Tar Heel player in 10 months to be charged in an attack on another
student.

Hall, who starts at right guard, faces charges of misdemeanor assault against a female and
communicating threats against UNC student Katherine Stanley of Chapel Hill, who was his
girlfriend, according to court documents.

Stanley swore out a domestic-violence complaint alleging that Hall, 20, threw her to the ground
and grabbed her around the throat during an argument at his Carrboro apartment on Sept. 3, two
days before the team's season opener.

Stanley told authorities that on Sept. 7, Hall telephoned her apartment and threatened that if she
told police of the attack and he was arrested, he would "find her and kill her" upon his release.

Stanley filed both complaints with a magistrate on Sept. 8. The following day, Hall was served with
a summons and ordered to appear Oct. 2 in Orange County District Court in Hillsborough.

The domestic violence report states that Stanley was shoved to the ground and grabbed around
the throat by the 6-foot-3, 305-pound junior from Hagerstown, Md. The report also contains
notations claiming that a history of abuse exists between the two and that Stanley suffered bruises
on an arm and scratches on her neck, neither of which required medical treatment.

In Stanley's written criminal complaint filed with the magistrate, she wrote that Hall threatened to
kill her if she "did not tell my parents that he had not been physically abusing me." She also said
Hall has a key to her apartment and threatened to use it to "get at me."

Phone messages left at the homes of Hall and Stanley were not returned on Tuesday.

UNC head coach Carl Torbush said he received word of the allegations on Sept. 8 and has held
Hall out of practice since then. Torbush announced the suspension on Tuesday and didn't rule out
additional disciplinary action, pending developments in the case.

"It's a situation that I hate happened, but it did happen, and because it has happened, then we've
had to deal with it," Torbush said.

The suspension is the third levied in less than a month by Torbush, who in August permanently
removed defensive linemen Ricco McCain and Varian Ballard from the team after they failed to
complete court-ordered community service after being convicted of beating a UNC student last
December. Both served 10-day jail sentences as a result of failing to complete the community
service.

Ballard and McCain were among a group of seven players who faced charges in connection with
the attack. Four UNC players, including Ballard and McCain, were convicted or pleaded no
contest.

The allegations against Hall are another public-relations black eye for UNC's athletics department,
which is still feeling the lingering sting of the December assault case and the recanted racial
allegations made against a white Utah player by Tar Heels basketball center Makhtar Ndiaye
during the NCAA Final Four last March.

Last month, UNC women's soccer coach Anson Dorrance was named in a $12 million civil suit
filed in Chicago by two former players, who alleged a pattern of sexual harassment by the coach,
among other claims. Nine other individuals with ties to the school also were named in the Dorrance
case.

Section: Sports
Edition: Final
Estimated Printed Pages: 2

Index Terms:
Jon Hall
assault
women
college
UNC-CH
football

Caption:
photo; file

Jon Hall: Oct. 2 court date.

Copyright 1998 by The News & Observer Pub. Co. 

Record Number: 1998258018